As I stepped out of Cancun International Airport this October, the humidity hit me like a ton of bricks. Thanks to LivingSocial Adventures, my girlfriend Alanna and I were just beginning a four-night stay in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Although we had an itinerary, we weren’t sure what to expect. This was the first group trip we had ever been on. Would we find ourselves in the middle of a party resembling Spring Break, surrounded by a bunch of twenty-somethings? Or would we find ourselves on the other end of the spectrum—the youngest couple in a group of well-traveled adventurers? Aside from these thoughts, this was Mexico! How safe would we be? Would we get sick from the water?
Those concerns soon faded. We didn’t get sick. We didn’t get kidnapped. We did, however, meet some amazing people while exploring a beautiful part of the world.
We arranged for transportation to pick us up from the airport and bring us to our hotel: Aventura Mexicana Hotel.
Helpful Tip: Playa is about a 45-minute drive from Cancun International Airport so I recommend scheduling transportation prior to your arrival. If your hotel offers a shuttle service, I would take advantage of it.
While checking in at the hotel front desk we found out we had been bumped up to the honeymoon suite—not a bad deal! By the time we settled in to the hotel, it was already time for LivingSocial’s first happy hour where we were introduced to our guides, as well as the other forty or so people that would make up our group for the duration of the trip. After a short introduction from our guides, Erin and Matt, we ate some dinner and had a cold drink, and then retired to our room to get some much needed sleep.
What We Did
Throughout our five-day stay we got to partake in a ton of activities. Each morning, we woke up early, ate breakfast, and then our transportation for the day picked us up right outside the hotel. On the first day, Alltournative provided a guided tour of the ancient Mayan city of Tulum and took us on several excursions in the Jungle Maya that were perfect for the adventurous type. On our second day, we swam with dolphins, zip lined across the jungle, snorkeled and did several other things at Xel-Ha; an incredible natural waterpark. We contemplated several options for our third day, but a taxi strike helped us determine that the beach might be the best bet. Although activities during the day did tire us out, we still managed to explore Playa’s shops, restaurants and nightlife as well.
Mexico gets a bad rap in the states. While I might shy away from some of the border towns, the truth is that Mexico is a wonderful place to visit. Read about our trip by visiting the links below:
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico
- Things to see and do in Playa del Carmen
- Where to eat and drink in Playa del Carmen
- Seven Reasons to Take a LivingSocial Adventures Trip
- Hotel Aventura Mexicana
This trip was sponsored by LivingSocial Adventures
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.