Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes from reader Denise H., who says:
“I was in NYC this weekend with my husband. We had a fantastic day of shopping and sightseeing. After going to the hotel to change and go to dinner, I decided that I was too tired to walk five blocks in my new heels. It would be weird to take a cab five blocks, so we opted to take a pedicab, which we hailed from the front of the bike. After he dropped us at our destination, he told us we owed his $35! ‘WHAT?’ I replied. ‘That’s insane!’
“He took out his stopwatch and showed us we had been in his ‘cab’ for seven minutes and said, ‘I charge $5 per minute. Didn’t you see my sign?’ Obviously, we did not see his pricing. Bad assumption on our part that it would have been a few bucks. SO, if you’re taking a pedicab in NYC, be sure to check prices before getting in! I much prefer Newport, RI, where they don’t charge anything and ask for an appropriate tip, instead.”
Thanks, Denise! And here’s a Slate article on how to avoid being scammed by an NYC pedicab driver.
More NYC travel tips
- This New App Lets You Post Messages on Screens Across NYC
- You Can Now See TSA Security Line and Taxi Line Wait Times at NYC Airports
- A Great, Free App to Help You Get Around on the NYC Subway
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,541!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.