It may not be something you think about often but carbon monoxide poisoning can happen, both at home and when you travel. Taking precautions and being prepared with a portable carbon monoxide detector like this one can save your life and your family’s. RELATED: This Portable Device Could Save Your Life at Home and When You Travel

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.

As you may have read, three American tourists were found dead inside their rented AirBnb in Mexico City last month and according to police, they likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning. This is a devastating tragedy and sadly, it’s not the first time this has happened.

Back in May, three American tourists were found dead at a Sandals resort in the Bahamas. Although the cause of their deaths had initially stumped investigators, it was later confirmed, according to the New York Times, that “all three of the victims died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning.”

The New York Times goes on to explain: “Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion, including the burning of gasoline, kerosene, diesel, natural gas or other fuels in a motor or generator.

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, weakness and dizziness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If someone is asleep or has been drinking, carbon monoxide can be deadly, the C.D.C. says.”

RELATED: The App With Emergency Numbers in 196 Countries

Again, something similar happened back in 2018 when an Iowa family was found dead in their vacation condominium in Tulum, on the Yucatan Peninsula. According to this USA Today article, Mexican authorities said they suffocated after inhaling toxic gases.

In response to that story, a reader named Patrick wrote in to say:

“This tends to happen a time or two a year in the news. I remember it occurring many years ago to a family overseas. Ever since, I always bring a travel smoke/carbon monoxide detector with my family when we go on trips. It just takes some AA batteries and is good for 10 years of service. My wife razzes me about bringing it all of the time, but I have it for that one time when we need it.”

This is a great idea. This portable carbon monoxide detector is small, lightweight, inexpensive and most importantly, it can save your life and the lives of those you love. It operates on two AA batteries (included) so you don’t need to worry about it not working during a power outage and comes with a 10-year limited warranty.

It’s a good idea to use your carbon monoxide detector at all times (at home and when you’re traveling) and if you smell something funny, don’t wait to take action or contact the authorities. Get out as soon as possible and make sure to read up for more information so you’re prepared. Here are some helpful articles to get you started:

Buy a portable carbon monoxide detector here on Amazon.

The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

5 Comments On "TRAGIC: 3 US Tourists Die From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in AirBnb - Here's How to Protect Yourself When You Travel"
  1. Gody|

    thank’s

  2. Rihana Sameera|

    This post is very helpful as it provides information about how to protect yourself from the harmful effect of carbon monoxide

  3. Cynthia|

    The one in the Amazon link looks great, but it’s just a 120v AC 60hz. So taking it with you on travel to a lot of countries would require more than a simple outlet adapter. Anyone found a CO detector that will cover the range of voltages 110-220?

  4. Clyn6|

    Just buy one that uses batteries, that is what I did. I have only used mine for airbnb stays, never thought about this happening at a resort stay! The one I bought is for both fire and carbon monoxide, and does not take up a lot of space in my suitcase.

  5. Deltek Powerlines|

    So taking it with you on travel to a lot of countries would require more than a simple outlet adapter. Anyone found a CO detector that will cover the range of voltages 110-220?

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *