While in Puebla, I stayed at El Sueno Hotel and Spa, a boutique hotel possessing just the right mix of the historic with a hip and witty charm thoroughly modern in origin, a modernity increasingly evident in Puebla as a new generation takes hold.
El Sueno sits on a quiet street just blocks away from the cathedral and town square, an oasis amidst the hubbub. As is typical of Puebla architecture, the front of the hotel and the entrance sit flush with a narrow sidewalk, giving no hint of the spaciousness I found when I entered the courtyard building. A small dining room is next to the entrance; beyond that is a tiny waiting room with fake flower leis dangling from the ceiling, an example of the unexpected lurking everywhere in the hotel’s design.
Another example of the hotel’s quirky design sensibility is its swimming pool, complete with chandelier and a woman painted on the ceiling who periodically weeps a single tear. Also on the first floor are the breakfast area and a small, well-stocked bar where members of our group met every evening to unwind. Well-placed mood lighting, chandeliers and fountains created an overall restful ambience in the public areas.
Each of the rooms is named for a woman in art and culture. I stayed in the Isadora room, named after Isadora Duncan and decorated with references to her. The room was clean, modern in design and décor and quiet. While I did not experience this problem, some guests complained of a lack of hot water. I did not try the spa services so cannot comment on them.
The complimentary breakfast each morning hit the spot – efficient service and excellent food beautifully plated and large in portion.
Both the Casareyna and Mesones Sacristia restaurants are located in boutique hotels. While I did not see the Mesones Sacristia rooms, I was able to tour Casareyna. Modern in design, the rooms were spacious and incorporated talavera pottery touches.
If I wanted to get away from it all and finish my novel, I would book myself into the Hotel La Quinta Luna in neighboring Chalula. The courtyard around which the rooms are located is green and restfully landscaped with tables perfect for setting up a laptop. The library offers a well-appointed place to read that novel one has been meaning to finish. Rooms are spacious, modern and clean with touches that make one long to use the hotel for a romantic getaway. Some accommodations have living rooms and kitchens. The breakfast I enjoyed one morning was excellent.
When I checked, all of these boutique hotels had room rates ranging in price from $100-$150 depending on the usual factors that affect price.
MORE ON PUEBLA:
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.