A city with as much gastronomic history as Puebla undoubtedly has more restaurants worth visiting than the ones named here; nevertheless, I strongly urge you to try these restaurants based on the meals I enjoyed there.
Mesones Sacristia de la Compania: Located on a picture-perfect pastel-colored street, this restaurant opens into a courtyard whose rich pink walls and rustic furniture set a fitting stage for its traditional Pueblan cuisine. Mesones Sacristia also offers hotel accommodations as well as cooking classes including the one where I learned to make mole adobe. In the course of two meals, I enjoyed the mole poblano served over a massive chicken breast as well as a fish stuffed with cheese covered in a green pepitos mole and the special Sacristia mole with chipotle. Most significantly, I first tried cremita, my new favorite dessert, at Mesones Sacristia.
Casareyna: Another hotel/restaurant that also has a talavera pottery boutique, Casareyna has incorporated ancient stonewalls from an original building into its modern design with quite a wonderful result. Happily the meal that I had was as delicious as the surroundings were beautiful. Of the multi-course mean, I especially liked the salmon in tamarind sauce and their sopa de esquite – traditional corn on the cob soup with mayonnaise and fresh lime-juice and chili flecks. Sounds terrible but I was begging for seconds. Since there is always room for ice cream, I had Nieve de Mamey, made from a Mexican fruit. The perfect endnote to a perfect lunch.
El Mural de los Poblanos: Right in the heart of the historic district, El Mural de los Poblanos does a lively business with tourists and natives alike. One enters past a massive mural depicting the Battle of Cinco de Mayo; other large murals decorate the restaurant inside. After starting with mezcal, I enjoyed a tasting menu of Puebla favorites, two of which I will highlight because I have not mentioned them before. The traditional sandwich of Puebla is the Cemita. Ours basically took the ingredients of a chalupa and put it between a roll. More successful in my opinion was the chicken skewer served with three different moles – adobe, pipian verde and pipian roja. I took one of their excellent rolls to finish the moles. It was at El Mural de los Poblanos that I dined on fried larvae before enjoying two desserts – my favorite cremita as well as a Pan de Elote, a cornbread concoction. El Mural de los Poblanos also offers a full line of mezcals as well as a wonderful tamarind margarita.
La Noria: Though outside the historic district, I recommend La Noria for two reasons. Natives eat here; I saw some of the most elegant diners ever in this renovated hacienda that has a sleek modern vibe in both décor and cuisine. You will find traditional Pueblan fare here, but you will also find excellent non-traditional cuisine such as the delicious steak with a three mushroom sauce. Which brings me to my second reason for the recommendation – after eating mole at every meal, I enjoyed my well-prepared meal sans mole.
MORE ON PUEBLA:
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.