As I wrote in this week’s Travel Website of the Week post, I was at lunch in Manhattan Beach when last week’s 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of southern California. I quickly whipped out my phone to see if I had an earthquake app, and when I saw that I didn’t, I searched for one. I quickly found QuakeFeed, which is a free iOS-only app with a 4.7 rating (out of 5) and almost 10,000 reviews. I downloaded it in seconds.
Sure enough, at the top of the app’s earthquake list was a 5.3-magnitude quake off California’s Channel Islands. I was able to share that info with the diners around me before the local news could report on the quake (one of the many TVs on in the restaurant was showing the local news). It was a relief knowing that the earthquake we’d felt wasn’t more powerful and that we could continue on with our lunch.
What I like about QuakeFeed is that it’s quick and easy to use. It provides alerts for earthquakes near you, which is important especially if you’re near the water and there’s a tsunami risk. Among the app’s other features are push notifications for all 6.0+ quakes and detailed reports on all listed earthquakes, including the magnitude, time, latitude/longitude, distance, and depth of each. The app is ad-supported, but the ads aren’t obtrusive at all. If you want to remove them, a premium subscription is just $0.99 per year.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.