The Dittrick Museum of Medical History, part of Case Western University, looks like your typical college library; an older building with study rooms, bookshelves, and regal furnishings. The museum, known for its unorthodox collections on the progress of medical history, is one-of-a-kind.
Upon first glance the amputating set from 1861 and pictures of medical students posing with human cadavers can be unnerving and resemble a scene from The Twilight Zone. I urge visitors to focus on the stories behind the unfamiliar tools and uncomfortable images because there is much perspective to gain.
The Dittrick is not just for aspiring doctors or science junkies. Though it was started by doctors in the late 19th century to maintain medical artifacts and preserve the medical history of Cleveland, its mission today is to adopt a universal view on public health and policy.
My personal favorite, “A History of Contraception Through The Ages,” is more than just a collection of old, intimidating, steel contraception tools. Sprinkled with stories of progressive doctors and medical advancements in birth control, it highlights the human element in our evolution as individuals and a society, ultimately allowing us to understand what choices we made based on the options we had.
I left The Dittrick very thankful for modern medicine. Note: if science is your cup of tea, allow yourself some extra time – there’s a lot to see and read.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.