Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes from reader Christine, who left a slew of Egypt tips in a comment below Ian Livingston’s guide to travel in Egypt:
“Going to Egypt was a dream come true. I still can’t believe I climbed inside the Great Pyramid (a must-do) and went into the tomb of King Tut (no pictures). Some advice: Take a lot of $1 bills or have small EGP as you have to pay to pee everywhere except your hotel room!! Take a scarf. You may not need it to wear it on your head, but it will be great around your neck (we went in March) to protect from the chill and the sun. Make sure you go to a reputable papyrus shop with a guide. In the markets or shops be prepared to deal, and stick with your first offer (about 50% of what the price is).
“DO NOT wear shorts and camisoles (very tacky). Be respectful to the residents. When you are approached to buy something on the street or in the markets, be firm with your ‘no thank you’ and keep walking. Ladies, if you want to wear a dress, make sure it is full-length with sleeves or a shawl. Take a cruise down the Nile as well. Try to get to the Nubian village. Egypt will be the trip of a lifetime as everything is so fascinating”
More on travel in Egypt
For more on travel in Egypt, including what to see, eat and look out for, see 12 Things to Know Before Traveling to Egypt in 2018.
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,521!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.