With Christmas just a month and a half away, it’s time to start thinking about gifts for the travelers in your life. One of my favorites is the Ring Doorbell, which has saved me multiple times while traveling including when my wife and I were climbing Diamond Head on Waikiki one morning (here’s my perfect morning there) as the gas department came to our house in Los Angeles to cut off our supply. If I hadn’t had Ring, I wouldn’t have known what was going on—and then been able to tell them that I hadn’t received their bills (they were sending them to an old address). Because of Ring, we didn’t have to come home to a cold house.
I wrote about Ring 1.0 a while back. Well, Ring just came out with three new products, including version 2.0 of its Ring Video Doorbell ($199). The second-generation Ring doorbell is equipped with a removable, rechargeable battery pack, 1080p HD video functionality and improved night vision. The sleek design now comes with interchangeable faceplates, making it a perfect fit for any home. Like the first-generation, the 2.0 version also features two-way audio and motion detection and can connect to existing wired doorbells.
The whole slate of cool new Ring products—which anyone but burglars would love, and especially travelers—includes:
1. Ring Video Doorbell 2 ($199)
2. Ring Floodlight Cam ($249)
The Ring Floodlight Cam is supposedly the most powerful floodlight camera available and is easily installed in areas around the home. The self-install, Wi-Fi, outdoor Floodlight features an HD (1080p) video camera, cloud recording, the loudest speaker on any outdoor camera, a 100dB siren, 270-degree motion detection, smart LED lights, and IR (night vision).
3. Ring Spotlight Cam ($199-$249)
The Ring Spotlight Cam includes battery powered, wired, and solar-powered options so it can be placed pretty much anywhere. Just like the Ring Doorbell each Spotlight Cam is equipped with two-way audio, a 1080p HD camera. It also has 160-degree horizontal motion detection angle, a 140-degree field of view and bright LED light strips that turn on when motion is detected.
Fortunately, Ring sent me all of the above—so don’t even think about robbing my house or stealing packages off our doorstep, because you will get caught!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.