This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Summer is always an exciting season for rewards credit cards as we make our spending and travel plans for the second half of 2021. Here is a roundup of the August 2021 credit card news, including some of the best signup bonuses and new credit card benefits that you may have missed.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
August 2021 Credit Card News: Increased Credit Card Signup/Welcome Bonuses
Several cards are offering enhanced signup bonuses that can help you get more value from your initial purchases. In fact, there are several 100k credit card bonuses available, some of the highest we’ve ever seen on these cards!
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is offering its highest-ever signup bonus and one of the most valuable bonus offers that travel credit cards currently offer.
You can earn 100,000 bonus Chase Ultimate Rewards after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. This bonus is worth as much as $1,250 when booking award travel on the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. The card also lets you transfer points at a 1:1 ratio to airline and hotel loyalty programs.
Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x points on dining, and 2x points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
Other card perks include no foreign transaction fees, DoorDash and Peloton benefits, plus access to Chase Ultimate Rewards offers. Learn more about this top travel credit card in our full Chase Sapphire Preferred review.
There is a $95 annual fee.
The Platinum Card from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express made headlines in July among luxury travelers with several benefit additions. However, there was also an annual fee price hike to $695 (See Rates & Fees). But, these perks are valued at over $1,400, which helps offset the annual fee.
The card is currently offering a limited-time welcome bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards. Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards after spending $6,000 on purchases on the Card in the first 6 months of Card Membership. New cardholders also earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.
You may also qualify for a targeted 150,000 Membership Rewards bonus. The spending requirement is the same and you can earn 10x bonus points on qualifying purchases.
Some of the recent benefit additions include:
- CLEAR application fee credit (enrollment required, terms apply)
- Up to $300 annually in Equinox credits (enrollment required)
- Up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with The Platinum Card® from American Express at Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
Cardholders can get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when paying with their Platinum Card®.
Get the full details and learn more in our in-depth The Platinum Card from American Express review.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Chase Ink Credit Cards
The new Chase Ink card designs roll out in mid-August for new cardmembers. Existing cardmembers can request a new design too. In addition, the card benefits remain the same for all three of the small business cards.
The signup bonuses are some of the highest for small business credit cards too.
The Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card might be the best of the three Ink card options.
- 100,000 Ultimate Rewards signup bonus ($1,250 value) after spending $15,000 in the first 3 months
- Earn up to 3x points on purchases
- 25% redemption bonus for award travel bookings on Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 1:1 airline and hotel point transfers
- $95 annual fee
Get all of the details of this Chase business card in our Ink Business Preferred review.
Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard
The information for the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® is offering a limited-time bonus of 50,000 bonus points. You can earn the bonus by spending $2,500 in the first 90 days. This bonus is worth up to $1,250 in Amtrak travel. The usual signup bonus is only 20,000 points.
The annual fee is $79.
Rail travel can be an exciting option if you’re looking for an alternative to flying or don’t want to pay crazy-high rental car prices for a long-distance road trip.
AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
The information for the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard® has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
One of the easiest airline credit card signup bonuses you may ever earn currently belongs to Barclays AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®.
You earn 60,000 AAdvantage bonus miles with your first card purchase and also paying the $99 annual fee in the first 90 days.
Other card benefits include:
- The first checked bag is free for the primary member and up to 4 companions
- Preferred boarding
- Up to $25 in inflight Wi-Fi statement credits
- 25% inflight food and beverage purchases
- $99 Companion Certificate each card anniversary after $20,000 in annual purchases
August 2021 Credit Card News: New Credit Card Launches
There are several new credit cards available to consumers and small business owners.
U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard® (Small Business)
If you’re a small business owner, the brand new U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard® is an exciting option with no annual fee for you or your employees (See Rates & Fees). You may earn a higher signup bonus than the ongoing offer once the initial buzz wanes.
This card offers these perks:
- $500 cash back after $4,500 in purchases in the first 150 days of account opening
- Up to 3% back on purchases
- An annual $100 statement credit for recurring software subscription expenses
- No annual fee
Get more information in our U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards review.
Chase Slate Edge (Balance Transfers)
The information for the Chase Slate Edge℠ has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
The Chase Slate Edge℠ is the revamped Chase Slate that closed to new applications in 2020. It’s a great option if you want a balance transfer credit card.
New cardmembers can earn a $100 bonus by spending $500 in the first 6 months.
Other card benefits include:
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months
- Lower your interest rate by 2% per year with qualifying purchases
- Automatic credit line review after the first 6 months
- No annual fee
Get full details in our Chase Slate Edge review.
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card (Cash Rewards)
The Wells Fargo Active Cash℠ Card is one of the newest cash back cards. It’s also the first of several new credit cards the bank is launching through 2022.
Active Cash card benefits include:
- $200 signup bonus after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months
- Earn unlimited 2% back
- No annual fee
Learn More: Cash Back Credit Cards
August 2021 Credit Card News: Credit Card Point Transfer Options
There are a couple of new 1:1 airline point transfer opportunities available that can make it easier to book award flights.
Some of the best Aeroplan mile redemptions can be for Air Canada and Star Alliance award flights.
New Aeroplan Credit Card
Chase is also launching the co-brand Aeroplan Credit Card later in 2021. Card details are scant but joining the waitlist lets you earn an additional 10,000 miles plus the signup bonus.
The Citi ThankYou credit cards have American Airlines as a temporary transfer partner. The transfer window runs from July 18, 2021, to November 23, 2021.
Remarkably, this transfer option is available to the two $0 annual fee ThankYou credit cards:
- Citi Rewards+® Card
- and the Citi ThankYou Preferred
However, the transfer ratio is only 2:1 for these no annual fee travel credit cards.
Related: Best Citi Credit Cards
In conclusion to this roundup of August 2021 credit card news, you can see that these launches can benefit both consumers and small businesses. Most of the benefit additions help frequent flyers return to the skies as flight volumes are currently at post-pandemic highs. Let’s see what happens as credit card issuers continue to add rewards options for cardholders.
- 8 Best Credit Cards for Everyday Spending (Gas, Groceries, & More)
- The Best Travel Credit Cards
- Best Limited-Time Credit Card Offers
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.