I was booked to speak on a social media panel for the Santa Barbara CVB conference. The program took place at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, which was neat to tour around inside and out. FYI: The other panelists were Gabe Saglie (Travelzoo), Al Bonowitz (Hawaii Westways), Eric Hiss (Wandermelon), Jen Murphy (Food & Wine), John Vlahides (Lonely Planet), and Malcolm Griffiths (DCI).
What’s nice about going to Santa Barbara, besides that it’s GOD’s country, is that it’s an easy two-hour drive from my home in Los Angeles. They put most of us up at the Canary Hotel (CanarySantaBarbara.com), which is the sister property to Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. Yep, it’s swanky. The Canary is a member of Leading Small Hotels of the World.
The hallways and rooms were beautifully designed, and I loved the high four-poster bed–it was so tall I almost needed a pole vault to get on it. I just wasn’t a fan of its squishy pillows, or that I could hear hallway traffic. However, the tile in the bathroom was impressive, as were their toiletries. But the weather wasn’t cooperating, so I didn’t get a chance to take one of the towels up to the top deck where their pool is located.
The hotel is centrally located in downtown Santa Barbara (across the street from Greyhound) and next to the Spectrum Club, which guests get free passes to workout. Three blocks away is the Santa Barbara Court House (SBcourts.org), which is probably the city’s best free place to tour around.
TUPELO JUNCTION CAFÉ & R. JULIENNE
Also nearby is Tupelo Junction Café (TupeloJunction.com), which serves one of Santa Barbara’s best breakfasts, and Julienne Restaurant (RestaurantJulienne.com), which is owned and run by a 28-year-old chef and his wife. I dined at both, and the latter is where our whole panel (minus Gabe) went. We all enjoyed their fine Santa Barbara wines and bread, and we sampled each other’s salads, pasta, beef, fish, and soup (and of course their desserts).
- Canary Hotel
- Leading Small Hotels
- SB Court House
- Tupelo Junction
- Julienne Restaurant
- Johnny’s Twitter
- Johnny’s Facebook
- Newsletter Archive
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.