To be honest, racing horses is really not my thing, but my dad is a huge fan, and because I grew up with the Saturday afternoons of dramatic cheering and whimpers, it did have a big impact on me. When my father requested—okay…actually begged me to drive him up to Saratoga Racetrack from Vermont—I tried, but found it hard to say no!
But Saratoga is not like any other racetrack. Its ambiance and history set it apart. So I would say that Saratoga can take a non-racing fan and turn her into a huge Saratoga fan! And since my parents loved it from almost the beginning of their marriage, where they would spend special anniversaries at Saratoga Race Track, I had to honor his request.
One night we stayed at The Gideon Putnam, as I wrote about here. The second night we stayed at The Residence Inn at The Marriott. It had several pluses: close to town, very close to I-87, a good breakfast with lovely ladies offering homemade smoothies and egg sandwiches, and a free shuttle to the Saratoga Racetrack. After staying the first night at The Gideon Putnam, I was disappointed that the front desk man could not show us to our room. But this is not a hotel, and does not have the level of service that the Gideon Putnam offers; it’s more like serviced apartments where people stay for an average of five days, and in the off-season it’s a more reasonable rate.
After a very long and fun day at the race track, I was tired and literally made loops around the building looking for my room. It turns out that the room was in the building where the lobby is—but the desk man’s directions and map made no sense to my tired brain!
When we got to the “suite,” it was smaller than I had imagined and about the same size as one of our rooms at The Gideon Putnam. Dad and I had two separate “rooms” divided by a door and a bathroom to share. I didn’t realize that we had to make the pull-out couch, but a very nice “house man”(their label, not mine) named Ray helped me pull out the couch and make the bed. After that, dad and I ordered pizza and went to sleep.
In the morning, I awoke with a fresh perspective and actually grew to appreciate our little apartment with its clean bathroom and large shower.
My brother (Johnny) likes the Residence Inn brand as its properties are a good value for families, with breakfast included and a working kitchen. I did appreciate the ability to make my own peppermint tea after dinner. But I must confess to unplugging the refrigerator so I could sleep on the pull-out couch! I also noticed that on the day we were there (high season in August) the suite was listed at the same price as a Gideon Putnam room (mid $300s), though our suite at The Gideon Putnam was twice the price as our The Residence Inn suite and did not include breakfast. Ultimately, it’s a good place for families who want to explore the town, the racetrack or historic Saratoga Spa State Park where one the most important Revolutionary War battles were fought.
In part two: The Gideon Putnam.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.