This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
You may be familiar with the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, one of the best credit cards for travel rewards, but did you know there is an alternative option that comes with no annual fee? The IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card earns 15x points per $1 spent at IHG properties along with some other exciting benefits.
IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card Benefits
The IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card comes with the following IHG travel benefits:
- 75,000 bonus IHG points when you spend $2,000 in the first three months of account opening
- Reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 15x points per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2x points per $1 spent at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- All remaining purchases earn 1x point per $1 spent
- No foreign transaction fees
This card has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. As long as you earn or redeem your IHG points within a 12 month period, your IHG points balance will not expire.
What Doesn’t the IHG Traveler Card Offer?
When you hear the phrase, “IHG credit card” getting a reward hotel night certificate might be one of the first thoughts that enter your mind. While it’d be awesome to get a reward IHG night each card anniversary, that isn’t the case.
Compared to the more elite IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you won’t get these benefits:
- Reward anniversary night certificate
- Upgraded membership status
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application fee reimbursement
With the basic IHG Traveler credit card, you’ll only have entry-level IHG Club membership status. This lets you book discounted Your Rate nights when you pay with cash. You need to make at least $10,000 in total card purchases to upgrade to IHG Gold status for the rest of this year and all of next year to enjoy additional benefits.
These include things like late checkout, welcome amenity, and point redemption bonuses.
Should You Apply for the IHG Traveler Card?
How often do you stay at IHG properties? To help you better answer that question, here is a list of IHG hotels:
- Six Senses
- InterContinental Hotels and Resorts
- Hotel Indigo
- Even Hotels
- Crowne Plaza
- Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations
- Staybridge Suites
- Atwell Suites
- Candlewood Suites
- IHG Rewards Club
If your answer is, “not often, but enough to own a credit card to earn bonus points,” then the IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card might be a good option for you.
The IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card is best at earning bonus IHG points on top of your regular stays and ensuring your points balance never expires. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about any annual fees, which is a great added bonus.
Is It Better to Apply for the IHG Premier Card Instead?
If you’re willing to spend $89 a year, you might enjoy the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card that offers more travel benefits. You get:
- Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide
- Enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- IHG Platinum Elite status
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application fee credit (up to $100)
- Earn 25x points on IHG purchases
New cardholders can earn 125,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Considering most IHG nights cost at least $100 a year, the reward night certificate alone pays the $89 annual fee. These additional benefits are a bargain for even the most casual IHG travelers. You can learn more in our IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card review.
Summary of the IHG Rewards Club Traveler Card
If you want to earn points without having to worry about foreign transaction fees or any annual fees, the IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card may be best. You’ll still get a 4th reward night and the ability to earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months isn’t a bad deal.
Learn more: IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.