While the selfie stick rage started last year as a hot global trend, now even hotels are jumping on the bandwagon. Yes, the obsession may prove we’re all a little vain, but it’s possible the selfie stick could be quite useful—especially when traveling. Not only can it help you capture a memory yourself, but you also don’t have to bother someone else to take the picture for you.
“They are great for solo travelers that want to capture scenery with them in it,” said Steven Wong, CEO, MiniSuit, a selfie stick developer. “They are also helpful in countries where there may be a language barrier and you can’t ask someone to take a photo.”
Here are a few ways hotels are incorporating selfie sticks into their experiences:
Four Seasons Hotel Houston started offering the must-have tech gadget in early January at the property because they noticed more guests were asking hotel staff to take their photos.
“We’d noticed an uptick in guests asking for assistance with photos, and while we could offer help while at the hotel, we wanted to ensure our guests captured great shots of their time in Houston,” said Laura Pettitt, a spokesperson for Four Seasons Hotel Houston.
InterContinental Toronto is also providing hotel guests a selfie stick for complimentary day use or for purchase at the concierge desk.
Kimpton has outfitted all of its hotels with selfie sticks. Guests are encouraged to post their best selfies using #AdoreThySelfie on their social channels. The brand will choose one winner a month in 2015 who will win a #AdoreThySelfie prize pick including a $150 Kimpton gift card, a selfie stick and the winning selfie blown up and framed. At the end of the year, all 11 monthly winners will be entered to win a grand prize of a two-night stay at any Kimpton hotel.
Kimpton’s The Muse New York is taking the #AdoreThySelfie promotion one step further with its “Forgot It? We’ve Got It!” photography kit. Guests of the hotel can loan out the complimentary kit, which includes:
- Selfie stick, for those who want to be the star of their own adventure
- GoPro and GoPro Fetch dog harness, so your pet can join in on the action
- A variety of lens filters, to see the world from a new perspective
- Mobile media case, turning your smartphone device into a filmmaking powerhouse
- Quadropod, allowing you hands-free photo fun
- Camalapse, offering 360 degrees of video and photo footage
- Mobile camera flash, to brighten up even the darkest of photo capturing days
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa has recently launched “Your Spring Selfie,” inviting guests to capture their selfie in Coachella Valley with the help of a Bluetooth selfie stick. In addition to the selfie stick, guests are encouraged to pose on the “Selfie Spots” located throughout the 450-acre property and share their favorite images on Instagram with #SpringSelfie for a chance to win a room upgrade. The “Your Spring Selfie” package is available for reservation March 1 through May 31, 2015.
Dorchester Collection’s UK properties offer branded selfie sticks for guests staying at The Dorchester, 45 Park Lane or Coworth Park. The selfie sticks appear in each hotel color, branded with each hotel name, and are available from reception for hotel guests to use during their stay.
While the hotel isn’t giving out selfie sticks, Mandarin Oriental Atlanta recently celebrated Chinese New Year and held a selfie contest for guests taking photos at the event. During the event, the hotel included a station with a selfie stick and props for guests to take photos with.
If all of this hasn’t convinced you to use a selfie stick, Steven Wong notes selfie sticks have many uses beyond taking photos including as weapons for self defense (but he doesn’t recommend it). As a solo female traveler, I think he just sold me on the selfie stick.
Whether or not you’re a selfie stick fan, it may be worth trying one out at your next hotel stay.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.