Ever wonder what routes cargo ships take around the globe? With Shipmap, you can watch a year’s worth of cargo ships—the heavy-lifters of the global economy—move on a beautiful, green, interactive map of the world. The map is built from 250 million data points taken from ships in 2012, between January 1 and December 31 of that year, and it can be configured to highlight routes, ship type, types of cargo (from liquid gas to fresh fruit), and seasonality. It’s both informative and mesmerizing.
Note: When you first arrive on the page, a British-accented narrator introduces the map and provides some detail on the importance of cargo ships to our world. It’s interesting, but if you want to skip ahead you can just click to the end in the circle progress bar in the bottom-left (around the pause/play button).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.