If you were on social media last night, no doubt you saw the shocking images of New York City and the surrounding Tri-State area being flooded.
The remnants of Hurricane Ida were no joke. Over 3.15 inches of rain fell in Central park in a single hour, which crushed the previous record set just 11 days before when 1.94 inches fell in an hour. Climate experts have warned that these types of storms were going to happen and now they’re here. It’s unsettling, to say the least.
I’ve compiled some of the most jaw-dropping images and videos including of the baggage room at Newark Liberty International Airport and the Van Wyck Expressway, which leads out of JFK Airport.
Expect Travel Delays Today
In my daily travel tip newsletter yesterday, I warned of potential travel delays and cancellations but I had no idea the extent of what was to come. Amtrak has canceled all service between Washington (WAS) and Boston (BOS) for the remainder of the day. Newark has canceled over 200 flights, United Airlines has cancelled over 230 flights. Southwest has canceled over 100 flights and so has Republic Airways, which operates service as American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express. No matter where you’re flying today, triple-check your flight status and pack your patience. Here’s my advice on what to do during weather delays and flight cancellations.
SERVICE ALERT UPDATE: All service between Washington (WAS) and Boston (BOS) has been canceled for the remainder of the day. We apologize for the inconvenience.
— Amtrak Northeast (@AmtrakNECAlerts) September 2, 2021
The storm has passed but our crews are working diligently to clear residual flooding & return ops to normal. As of now, 370 flights are canceled today at #EWR. Passengers are strongly urged to check with their carriers before heading to the airport.
— Newark Liberty Airport. Wear a Face Covering. (@EWRairport) September 2, 2021
Not what the baggage room at Newark Liberty International Airport is supposed to look like. Flooding right now as Ida’s remnants move through the northeast. pic.twitter.com/fu70elSrhy
— Gio Benitez (@GioBenitez) September 2, 2021
Just landed back in NYC after a trip abroad and this is the scene from my Uber heading out of JFK. pic.twitter.com/vfypB5ql5C
— James West (@jameswest2010) September 2, 2021
— Rick (@SubwayCreatures) September 2, 2021
— Rick (@SubwayCreatures) September 2, 2021
🇺🇸⚠️ — VIDEO: Heavy flooding in Boro Park, Brooklyn. pic.twitter.com/40SpypH5GA
— Belaaz (@TheBelaaz) September 2, 2021
— NYJuventus 🅙 (@NYJuve) September 2, 2021
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.