There are some truly terrible people out there – especially on social media. I find it unimaginable that anyone has the gall to criticize Simone Biles’ withdrawal from competition, or anything for that matter, especially when they cite mental illness. Sh*t happens that no one else but that person knows or experiences.
I remember when I was 17 years old, all of a sudden, I had a full-on anxiety attack at JFK airport. This was after I’d spent months talking my mom into going on the world’s greatest Spring Break trip to visit my sisters in Western Australia. We were going to fly and spend time in each place and our routing was: JFK-SFO-HNL-SYD-PER-SYD-NAN-LAX-JFK.
My parents thought I was joking when, after all our trip preparation, I told them at the gate that I couldn’t get on the plane. They both laughed at first until they quickly saw I wasn’t joking. I started crying. My mom started crying because she didn’t know what was going on. And my dad started crying because he no longer had the house to himself for two weeks.
Both of my parents were amazing. They gave me support, time and love. They took me to different doctors to determine the source of my anxiety. The psychologists didn’t help but eventually a naturopath did … and they were unheard of back then.
It took me three years to get over my fears and the main problem was that I was on too much asthma medication, which gave me anxiety. My fear of flying to Australia came from my asthma doctor who said, “You’re going to Australia?! You know that’s a 20-hour flight? You might have a difficult time breathing since planes are pressurized.”
She put the fear of God in me since I had no idea what pressurized even meant and I had only flown a dozen of times and never out if the country. But not being able to breathe was all I needed to hear to become very fearful. It was no wonder I had a full-on anxiety attack. I not only became afraid to fly but at times, afraid to leave the house.
My point is that if someone is brave enough and smart enough to pull out of something they’ve dreamed of, then give them love and support. Imagine trying to do flips in the air with the world watching and not have confidence? One wrong move could cripple you for life. It’s not for any one of us to judge Simone …. or anyone else’s personal decisions about their wellbeing. I’m now a bigger fan of Simone then I was a few days ago because now she’s a hero to so many more people.
PS: I would like to see any of these critics just try and walk across a balance beam let alone do a flip on it.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.