The latest airline to announce premium economy is Singapore Airlines. To all of you airplane seat snobs (or if you just crave more features in seat design, in-flight offerings and privileges), here’s what you need to know:
Today the airline announced the launch of its new premium seats on select A380 and 777-300 ER routes to Sydney beginning August 9, 2015. Travelers can book the new seats to Sydney now for travel August 9 and beyond. Singapore Airlines gave clues to the announcement yesterday on Twitter to click to their Instagram account to solve a puzzle for a sneak peek. Pretty clever approach if you ask us.
Many international carriers are jumping on the premium seat bandwagon. Most recently in January we saw Lufthansa announce their own premium economy on select routes to Munich.
The Airbus will have 36 premium economy seats while the Boeing will have 28 seats. Both aircrafts will use the 2-4-2 layout. The new seat will then appear on routes to Beijing, Delhi, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, London, Mumbai, New York, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Zurich later in 2015 and early 2016. (See below for the full schedule.)
Check out this YouTube video of new features for premium economy.
Singapore Airlines’ premium seat has a width ranging between 18.5 and 19.5 inches and offers an eight-inch recline, a 13.3-inch full HD monitor, noise-cancelling headphones, power outlets, and two USB ports.
The food is better too! Premium economy class can choose from a more extensive range of food and beverage offerings. From April 2015 travelers can select from the premium economy “Book the Cook” service featuring some popular dishes (or you can still opt to have a meal from the standard menu). Champagne will be served, as well as a selection of wines.
Travelers will also get priority check-in and baggage handling as well as a baggage allowance of approximately 77 pounds. KrisFlyer members will receive 10% more miles when they fly in premium economy.
The average cost for purchasing premium economy on Singapore Airlines varies but will be generally 45-50 percent more than standard economy. For example, the new class on the New York route, which starts premium economy later this year, will run you close to $2,200 while a standard economy ticket is about $1,500. Premium economy is a great option with more features than standard economy, especially when a business class ticket will run you around $7,000 a seat.
Rollout schedule for 2015 (subject to change)
- Sydney from August 9 (A380) and August 12 (777-300ER)
- Hong Kong and London from August 28 (A380)
- Hong Kong from August 31 (777-300ER)
- London from September 2 (777-300ER)
- Beijing and Shanghai from September 18 (A380)
- Frankfurt from September 24 (777-300ER)
- Paris from September 28 (A380)
- Delhi from October 13 (A380)
- Mumbai from October 21 (A380)
- Auckland from October 25 (A380)
- Tokyo/Los Angeles from December 1 (A380)
- Munich/Manchester from October 20 (777-300ER)
- Frankfurt/New York from December 14 (A380)
- Zurich from December 27 (A380)
- Dubai from January 5, 2016 (777-300ER)
- Seoul/San Francisco from January 6, 2016 (777-300ER)
Check out the airline’s premium economy website for more information.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.