LOS ANGELES, February 17, 2012 – Singapore Airlines will operate special commemorative flights between Singapore and Hong Kong on April 6, 2012 to mark the retirement of the Boeing 747 after nearly four decades of service.
Flight SQ747 from Singapore to Hong Kong and SQ748 from Hong Kong to Singapore will be operated with the B747-400, replacing existing flights SQ860 and SQ863, which are normally operated with Airbus A330-300s.
The special flights, which will be SIA’s last commercial passenger services with the B747, are now open for sale. In addition to more than 300 commercial passengers, on board will be employees who have worked on the aircraft throughout its storied history, as well as a group of underprivileged children and media.
“Saying farewell to the Queen of the Skies will not be easy. Over more than 38 years, the B747 has played an important role in helping SIA become the global airline that it is today. It enabled us to extend our network around the world and introduce innovative new products and services,” said SIA CEO, Mr Goh Choon Phong.
“These flights will mark the end of an era, but the spirit of innovation will live on at Singapore Airlines. With every new generation of aircraft that we introduce, we will continue to set new benchmarks in the premium air travel segment with industry leading product offerings for our customers.”
The commemorative flights will have an extended flying time of one hour to enable those on board to be treated to a unique inflight experience. This will include specially crafted meal services and inflight entertainment. Customers will also receive limited edition B747 memorabilia.
First Class customers will be provided an additional experience – an exclusive tour of the Airline’s cabin crew training facilities and B747-400 flight simulator in Singapore.
A dedicated website has been set up to commemorate the jumbo’s retirement, at www.SIAjourneys.com, featuring milestones and records set over the years, historical photographs and video footage, including interviews with staff and customers. Information about fares for flights SQ747 and SQ748 can also be found on the website.
Flight times will be as follows:
|SQ747 / April 6||SQ748 / April 6|
|SINGAPORE||0830 HRS||HONG KONG||1445 HRS|
|HONG KONG||1315 HRS||SINGAPORE||1930 HRS|
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.