One of my favorite things about Singapore is its incredibly good food and how cheaply you can get it. Singaporean cuisine is a combination of Chinese, Indian and Malay and the best place to get it is at one of the city’s famous Hawker Centers. Most of these 90 centers were built in the mid-‘80s after the government decided they wanted to regulate hygienic conditions. So basically it’s street food without the street. This trip I visited two of them and my favorite was Tiong Bahru. It’s huge and there had to be more than a hundred hawker stands all selling their specialty. I always choose the one with the longest line since you know it has to be good. For my lunch I had roasted chicken and rice ($2.50S, or about $2.20 US), then went to another stand and got some spicy string beans for $1S and then had two desserts: a plain ice Kacang ($1.20S) which is like a snowcone but with corn kernels and jellies on the bottom and the other was a fancy mango ice Kacang ($2S) that was topped with fresh fruit. See the pics below for more.
The other Hawker Center I visited was Maxwell Food Center in Chinatown. I went twice and the second time was with Charles Yap known on Twitter as @HotelPrGuy. Before filling our bellies he took me on a tour so I could saw a scale model of Singapore at the Urban Redevelopment Authority. We then went to the underground markets and did some Chinese New Year (it’s now the Year of the Dragon) shopping in the streets.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.