It was completely surreal to walk into a mall with shorts and a T-shirt on and see a winter oasis through monster glass windows. I felt as if I was looking at a gigantic snow globe. Ski Dubai(website) is the first indoor ski resort in the Middle East, and it really does offer an amazing snow setting to enjoy skiing and snowboarding. There’s also a separate area for kids to go tobogganing or roll down in a Zorb, which they call a snow ball. Advanced skiers/snowboarders can practice stunts or jumps in the freestyle zone.
SKI DUBAI SIZE
It’s available all year round, and the total area covered with real snow is 22,500 square meters (242,200 square feet or 5.5 acres). It’s 85 meters high (about 25 stories) and 80 meters (87 yards) wide. The longest run is 400 meters (437 yards), and the maximum capacity is 1,500 guests. When I was there I saw maybe 30 people on the slopes and 100 or so in the kids’ section.
WHAT TO BRING
Cost for a two-hour slope pass for adults is 180AED (US$50), children 150AED (US$40). I only had time for an hour, and I made five runs and took my time. The best part about Ski Dubai is that you don’t need to pack your ski clothes from home. A lift ticketincludes rental jackets, ski pants, ski boots with disposable socks, skis, ski poles, and helmets for children. The only thing you need to bring or buy (they have a ski shop) is hats and gloves, for hygiene reasons. If you want a locker they charge a 20AED (US$5.40) deposit for a key card and locker. You get it back in cash even if you pay by credit card.
Ski Dubai has just one quad chair lift that has a state-of-the-art ticketing system. A key card is placed in a pocket on your left sleeve jacket and it gets scanned as you enter the lift line. Thechair makes two drop-offs but it doesn’t stop. The first is for thebeginner slope, which is right next to Avalanche Café at the mid-station (BTW: There’s another themed restaurant at the entrance,St. Moritz Café ). The chair then makes a left turn up the mountain (building).
BACK IN THE GROOVE
The cold air (-2° Celsius = 28° Fahrenheit) makes you feel like you are in the mountains, but the few fake trees, the walls, and the music pumping remind you that it’s all make believe. The advance run isn’t a challenge for an expert, but for someone like me who hasn’t skied in years it was just what I needed. In fact, it was so much fun it actually got me in the groove to hit the real slopes again.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.