When I first went to France, I couldn’t understand why the Parisians would pay so much and spend so much time sipping coffee at expensive outdoor cafés. But over the years I’ve come to understand why, and I think these quotes from Anthony Bourdain in TIME capture it:
- “You can’t take it in, driving by stuff. That’s not satisfying. Don’t be afraid to just sit and watch.”
- “One of my great joys in places that I love, and have come to love, is to sit and watch daily life.”
- “You learn so much. You learn so much more about Saigon, for instance, sitting on a low plastic stool, drinking coffee or eating some spicy noodles — just watching the Vietnamese, how they live, where they go, the rhythms of daily life. It’s deeply satisfying, enlightening, and instructive.”
When I travel, I still fight my urges to go, go, go and see as much as I can. But I continue to remind myself of Tony’s sage thoughts on the subject, and to make time in my travels to slow down and take it all in. Hopefully, his thoughts help you, too.
- Video: Anderson Cooper’s Tribute to Anthony Bourdain
- Travel Book of the Week: “Kitchen Confidential” by Anthony Bourdain
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.