I used to be afraid to fly, so I truly sympathize with those suffering from a fear of flying. The good news is that you can get over it—because if I did, then anybody can. I recently recommended a fear of flying book called “SOAR.” It’s written by Captain Tom Bunn, who developed effective methods for dealing with flight anxiety. Nearly 10,000 graduates of the SOAR program are now flying anxiety-free.
In addition to his book, the SOAR program has an app (Android and iOS). The SOAR app features tools and guidance designed to help you fly more easily, like immediate access to weather information and turbulence forecasts. There’s even a G-Force button that will read your current turbulence to show you that the plane can easily sustain it.
There are some basic exercises for free but most of the good stuff is pay-to-play. But it’s definitely good to know that with the SOAR app, users can quickly download fear-of-flying courses starting at $19.99.
There’s a variety of course, but in general they will help you become an expert in how flying works and how flight safety is maintained. There’s one on how back-up systems—and back-ups to the back-up—are activated if needed. You can learn about safety systems that prevent pilot error. The featured one is called “Take Me Along,” in which Captain Bunn coaches you step-by-step through the flight.
Have you dealt with a fear of flying? Would you try SOAR?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.