On Saturday, I wrote that something is really up at Southwest and American, after both Texas-based airlines had widespread delays and cancelations while their competitors didn’t.
FYI: That trend is still carrying over today. As of 10:22am PT, according to FlightAware.com: American Airlines (AA) has canceled 376 flights and delayed 375. Southwest (SWA) has canceled 81 flights and delayed 399. Meanwhile, over at Delta Air Lines, they haven’t canceled any flights and United just 13. Expect American and Southwest’s delayed and cancelation numbers to increase big time as the day progresses.
Again, if you’re booking flights over the holidays, I would steer away from AA and SWA until they can prove they can manage their schedules.
The other major headline today is that Southwest issued a statement that they are investigating the pilot on Friday’s Houston to Albuquerque flight after he signed off his public address greeting with the anti Joe Biden phrase, “Let’s go, Brandon.”
Southwest tweeted: “We know many of you have heard about recent statements that may have been made on a Southwest flight, and we wanted you to hear directly from us.” They added a screenshot of their official statement, which goes as follows:
“The Southwest Team takes pride in providing a welcoming, comfortable, safe, and respectful environment for the millions of Customers who fly with us each year. Southwest does not condone Employees sharing their personal political opinions while on the job serving our Customers, and one Employee’s individual perspective should not be interpreted as the viewpoint of Southwest and its collective 54,000 Employees. Southwest is conducting an internal investigation into the recently reported event and will address the situation directly with any Employee involved while continuing to remind all Employees that public expression of personal opinions while on duty is unacceptable. Southwest does not tolerate any behavior that encourages divisiveness, as it does not reflect the Southwest Hospitality and inclusiveness for which we are known and strive to provide each day on every flight.”
That’s more like it. I think everyone can agree that no one wants their pilot making a political statement, regardless of which party they support. It seems that with this announcement, Southwest will put a kibosh on any more truly unprofessional rally calls.
As Dan Rather wrote, “Let’s go Brandon? How about let’s go America?”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.