If you’ve read this story, you know that American Airlines is currently offering its frequent flyers the chance to buy back their elite status for ridiculous amounts of money and points. Based on the comments added on the story (see the bottom of the page), most readers won’t be buying back their status.
No matter what your plans are for next year, if you currently have status with AA or another U.S. airline, you should know about the Southwest status-match offer that’s available right now. “Until December 31,” writes LifeHacker, “Southwest will match your elite status on any other US-based airline with its own A-List Southwest status for free. Usually, you’d have to fly at least 25 one-way flights or earn 35,000 points just to earn the status.” A-List status includes priority boarding, a same-day standby option, access to priority check-in and security lines, and more.
Here’s the promotion’s homepage, where you can see more details and register. Importantly, if you take advantage of the Southwest status-match (see how below), you’ll get 90 days of A-List status and not a full year. If you pay for three roundtrip tickets or six one-ways within those 90 days, Southwest will extend your status for another 12 months.
How to take advantage of this Southwest status-match
For starters, you’ll need to be a Rapid Rewards (Southwest’s frequent flyer program) member to qualify. Membership is free, so if you’re not yet a member, you can sign up here. If or once you’re enrolled, you’ll need to send an email to [email protected] with the following info:
- First name
- Last name
- Rapid Rewards number
- Screenshot of current elite status with a U.S.-based carrier, other than Southwest Airlines
The promotion runs through December 31 of this year, so keep that deadline in mind.
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.