Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes from reader Ann D., who says:
“This first tip I figured out from a friend’s mistake where she lost all her luggage in Rome. I never get out of a cab until I know the driver has gone to the trunk and removed my luggage, and I can see it on the side of the cab. This prevents him from driving off with my stuff.
And I always ask before I get into any cab—particularly in Italy—what the approximate cost will be. I have had cabbies try to charge me 45 euro for an 11 euro trip. Plus, I always ask for a receipt and I pay with my credit card. I never have had any problems since I started doing this as a practice.”
I’ve written tips on some of this (see below), but it’s good advice. More than anything, I think it’s important to read the situation and use caution, especially when taking a taxi in a new place. Thanks, Ann!
- Tell the Taxi Driver You’ll Need a Receipt Up Front
- When Taking a Taxi, Always Get an Official Receipt
- Don’t Take Rides From Strangers
- Reader Travel Tip of the Day: Taxi Precautions
- Travel Tip of the Day: Know Your Taxi Fares
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,170!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.