Allianz Global Assistance recently polled Americans on their willingness to watch the Olympics, and the results were clear: More than 38 million (or 15.7%) plan to watch the Summer Olympics on TV and plan to miss work to do it!
Of that 15.7% who plan to miss work, a full third—5.3% of all respondents—said they plan to watch the games at their place of employment. Others (3.8% of respondents) will leave work early or come in late to watch the Olympics, while even fewer plan to call in sick (2.3%) or take a vacation to observe live in Rio (1.4%).
Also of note: A small percentage of those surveyed (13.9%) also plan to watch the games in person, but the majority (60.7%) of Americans will watch the games on TV.
For those that plan to make the trip to Rio for the games, Allianz suggests getting insurance to protect against any unexpected circumstances like medical expenses (i.e. a medical treatment for a broken leg in Rio could cost between $6,000-$7,000, according to data compiled by Allianz).
Travel insurance from providers like Allianz can provide extra peace of mind for travelers, and many US health insurance policies (including Medicare and Medicaid) may not cover international travel. And of those that do, not all cover the cost of medical evacuation.
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.