Listen, the whole thing took me by surprise. I was driving to work recently and suddenly found my toes tapping to a tune on the radio. The tune stayed with me throughout the day. It was only a few days before I knew all the words. To a Taylor Swift song. When I downloaded the song from iTunes, I knew it was all over. I had unwittingly contracted Taylor Swift fever (and apparently, according to this Saturday Night Live skit, I’m not alone) and there ain’t no cure.
Fast forward a few weeks and once again, she’s everywhere, dominating the radio waves with another catchy ditty (damn you, Taylor!) And she’s hijacked headlines, too, with the release of her latest single Blank Space. The gossip mill is working overtime, whispering about the hot guy who smoulders in the video, the new interactive app that was released with the song (where adoring fans can sneak a peek into the backstage antics of filming the video among other things) and speculating whether Taylor did or did not destroy a rare vintage vehicle for the filming of the video. For the record: She did not. Those were some pretty spectacular special effects.
But as I watched the glamorous, Gatsby-inspired video, I was most taken with the setting. Filmed in a magnificent mansion with sprawling and impeccably tended gardens, and sweeping staircases, this place is positively palatial. Oozing old world charm, I was sure the video was filmed somewhere in Europe. France was my guess.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the filming location was Oheka Castle, situated on the highest point of Long Island. Um, what? New York? I would have lost a lot of money on that bet.
According to the website, Oheka Castle “emanates the elegant refinement of a chateau in France coupled with world-class service and a rich history that is distinctly American.” The mansion was built in 1919 by financier Otto Hermann Kahn, who commissioned architects Delano and Aldrich to design a country residence for him. Some country residence! The estate is now a luxurious event venue and offers up 32 incredibly appointed guestrooms and suites, a private members-only golf course and formal, perfectly manicured gardens that are nothing short of spectacular.
Taylor Swift is hardly the first person to scout Oheka for a filming location. In fact, the property boasts a long and impressive list of film appearances, dating all the way back to 1941 where it made an appearance in Citizen Kane. Since then, Oheka has been used as a shooting location for countless films, videos, commercials and photo shoots. And it’s no secret amongst the elite – many actors, politicians and pro athletes have been spotted on the grounds.
So, while Taylor herself is a rising starlet, the real star of this video is Oheka Castle (sorry, Taylor) and I’m glad to have discovered it. Not that I’ll ever stay there but it sure is pretty to look at. Here’s a closer peek:
If you want to really see Oheka Castle in all its glory, you should just watch the video. But if, after seeing this, you start humming this song incessantly and can’t … ahem, Shake It Off … don’t blame me. I warned you. It can happen to the best of us.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.