There’s no doubt this week you’re going to hear a lot about a 19-year-old Belgian-British pilot who’s about to become the youngest woman to fly solo around the world.
Zara Rutherford began her around-the-world trip on August 18 in Kortrijk, Belgium and was hoping to finish well before Christmas but she has encountered all kinds of Covid-related delays along the way.
First of all, flying around the world just as a passenger in a commercial aircraft is a feat but actually flying by yourself in a small plane as a teenager and doing it during a pandemic is beyond comprehension.
The current record-holder is Shaesta Waez who was 30 when she completed her “Dreams Soar” around-the-world flight in 2017 in a single-engine aircraft.
Zara is flying in a Shark, “a high-performance ultralight aircraft manufactured in Europe”. She writes on her website that it’s incredibly fast, with cruising speed reaching 300 km/h (186mph).
Zara surprisingly flew west against the jet stream and her route took her to the UK, Iceland, Greenland, Canada, USA, Latin America to Colombia, then back north via Alaska, to Russia, Korea, Indonesia, India, the Middle East, Europe and back to Belgium.
When it’s over, which is expected to be on January 13, this incredible journey will have taken her to 52 countries on five continents. Remarkable, right?
If you want to learn more about Zara Rutherford’s journey or see her classic arrivals board, which details dates, city pairs and times, visit flyzolo.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.