With a spotlight on unjust police action right now (see: The Death of George Floyd), you may have wondered how you—if you’re ever in a tricky situation—might be able to record your interaction with the police. Well, there’s an iPhone shortcut for that. The “I’m getting pulled over” shortcut, developed by Robert Petersen in 2018 and recently updated, is free to download on an iPhone. “By saying, ‘Hey Siri, I’m getting pulled over,’ writes CNN in a recent feature, “the shortcut — which a user must first install themselves — will pause any music that you’re playing, turn down the brightness of your phone, turn on the ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode to block any incoming calls, open up your front-facing camera and start a video recording.” Petersen originally shared the shortcut in a Reddit post, which is here.
Here’s how to install and use the shortcut, via the CNN article:
- Step 1: To set it up, first download the “Shortcuts” app on your iPhone.
- Step 2: Then you have to run another shortcut in the Shortcuts app. If you tap “Gallery” on the bottom right corner, you will see other shortcuts you can run.
- Step 3: Next, go to settings, and scroll down to “Shortcuts.” Tap it and then toggle the “Allow Untrusted Shortcuts” to on.
- Step 4: Open this link in Safari to download the “I’m getting pulled over” shortcut. Tap “Get Shortcut.”
- Step 5: Once it opens, scroll down and tap “Add Untrusted Shortcut.”
- Step 6: Choose a contact(s) for who you would like to send your location and a copy of the video recording to. Then tap done.
Many thanks to Robert Petersen for developing and updating this shortcut, which can be a tool of justice in a system that is lacking it. “I just wanted a way for anyone to have proof of their version of events in the unlikely scenario that something unexpected happens during a police interaction,” Petersen told CNN affiliate KCTV last year. “And if 1 in 10,000 people find my shortcut useful at all I’d be glad.”
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.