If you’re planning to travel via Amtrak this Thanksgiving, you better make reservations so you’re guaranteed a seat. This is the first year they’re warning passengers to make reservations in advance (even multi-ride ticket holders) since they are limiting the number of tickets they’re selling.
According to the L.A. Times, “Thanksgiving travelers who plan to ride the train between Nov. 23 and Nov. 30 need to reserve a seat, including on the popular Pacific Surfliner, which links San Diego, Orange County, L.A., Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.”
RELATED: Are Trains or Planes Cleaner To Travel On? Here’s What to Look For
Amtrak’s website states, “We are limiting bookings on reserved trains to allow for more physical distancing in seating areas. Individuals traveling alone may use the seat next to them for personal belongings, while friends and family members will easily find seats together.”
For those who want even more space, they can look into private rooms. They’re offered on many routes and it’s a good option for customers seeking privacy and space on a short trip and added comfort and amenities when traveling overnight.
The good news is that if you change your mind at the last minute, Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by December 31 and all cancellation fees through October 31. TIP: To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation without a fee, you must call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the Amtrak app).
Keep in mind
-Amtrak requires that all customers and employees wear a face mask or covering that fully covers the entire mouth and nose while onboard and in stations.
-All Amtrak trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
-Capacity indicator: When searching for travel options, customers will see a volume percentage next to each route so they can get helpful insight into which trains are less crowded. The percentage displayed is available in real-time when customers search for their train.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.