Great news for cruise lovers! The CDC just gave approval for the first big cruise ship to sail from a U.S. port.
In a one-line reveal by Celebrity Cruises CEO and President Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, she tweeted, “SOMEDAY IS HERE.” That ‘someday’ is referring to the long 15 months of the no-sailing order in the U.S. by the CDC for large cruise ships. Thanks to effective vaccines, things are starting to change — and for the better.
Celebrity Edge will be the first large cruise ship to sail from US waters and the launch date is Saturday, June 26. Edge will depart from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale on a seven-night cruise of the Caribbean in what promises to be a historic moment for the cruise and travel industry.
I was fortunate to sail on Celebrity Edge on its inaugural voyage (here’s my review) and the reason it was given the green light by the CDC is because it met all the new standards for providing a healthy cruise experience for its guests and crew.
According to Travel Weekly, “All U.S. passengers 16 and older on the cruise must be vaccinated, Celebrity said, and the entire crew will also be inoculated. Celebrity will allow a small number of guests ages 16 and younger, or others ineligible to be vaccinated to sail, so as to maintain a 95% vaccination threshold as required by the CDC to enter service without test sailings. Starting Aug. 1, all guests 12 and older will have to be fully vaccinated.”
Also notable is that the ship’s captain is Kate McCue, the first and still only American female Captain.
Now that Celebrity Edge has been approved to sail in U.S. waters, expect other cruises to get approved. Things are looking up!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.