This year marks the 100th Anniversary of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C., which runs from March 20 to April 27. If you’ve never been, it is truly a sight to see. Each year is different, but nothing is quite as magical as the blooms in their full glory. It’s also a photographer’s dream!
I was in town for it last year (participating in the 5th Annual Fashion for Paws Charity Event) and although the weather was a bit chilly, there’s a magic in the air as you stroll through the National Mall among the vibrant pinks and precious whites of the cherry blossoms. As I was walking the runway with my rescue dog (the event raises funds for the Washington Humane Society), there was only one natural choice for where to stay — Kimpton’s Hotel Monaco. I was super impressed with the pet-friendly policies, and delighted that my dog was actually catered to more than I was!
If you’re planning to visit during this time (with or without your pet companion), all of the 10 Kimpton Hotels in Washington, DC and Virginia are joining in the Cherry Blossom celebration, offering a “Blossoms & Bubbles” Package starting at $229 which includes deluxe accommodations, a gift of locally handcrafted cherry blossom soap, $30 credit toward parking or dining, and bubbles for kids at check-in. You can book the package at kimptonhotels.com/cherryblossom or with rate code BLOOM.
Also, all guests that book at Kimpton Hotels throughout the festival can enjoy Japanese sake at the hotels’ hosted evening Wine Hour from 5-7 pm in addition to the regularly offered red and white wines.
Guests can also savor the tastes of spring at Kimpton’s restaurants and lounges. They’ll be serving up creative cherry-infused entrées, appetizers and desserts throughout the festival.
Those craving something more spirited can sip from an array of specialty cocktails, such as a Smoked Old Fashioned with Sour Cherry Fizz at The Grille at Morrison House, or Urbana Restaurant & Wine Bar’s Cherry Blossom Bellini.
Participating Kimpton hotels and starting rates for the Blossoms & Bubbles Package include:
· Hotel Palomar Washington DC – $229 – www.palomar-dc.com
· Hotel George – $229 – www.hotelgeorge.com
· Hotel Rouge – $239 – www.rougehotel.com
· Hotel Helix – $229 – www.hotelhelix.com
· Topaz Hotel – $299 – www.topazhotel.com
· Hotel Madera – $299 – www.hotelmadera.com
· Hotel Monaco Washington DC – $269 – www.monaco-dc.com
· Hotel Monaco Alexandria – $229 – www.monaco-alexandria.com
· Morrison House – $229 – www.morrisonhouse.com
· Lorien Hotel & Spa – $229 – www.lorienhotelandspa.com
Follow Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants in the Washington DC / Northern Virginia region on Twitter @KimptonInDC, or follow the cherry blossom action using hashtag #kimptonblooms.
For more information on the Cherry Blossom Festival, visit nationalcherryblossomfestival.org.
About the Author: Lindsay Taub is an award-winning journalist with over a decade of experience as a writer/editor/photographer covering travel, lifestyle, culture, arts, food, health, and all facets that make life a journey. Follow her on twitter @lindsaytaub58.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.