I’ve heard from multiple readers that there are really long wait times for Ubers and Lyfts at LAX and at other destinations around the country. And if the wait times aren’t bad enough, their rates are also surging. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do.
1. Take a taxi. From what I’ve heard and seen at LAX (like my photo above from May 2021) and JFK, is that there are no lines for taxis and their rates are now actually cheaper than rideshares.
2. When traffic is bad at LAX or other airports and the Uber/Lyft waits are long, travelers are doing what I used to do before rideshares were legally allowed to do airport pickups. Hop on the first hotel shuttle (generously tip the driver) that arrives and then Google/GPS the address of the destination. Then, plug that address into Uber while on the way, and by the time the shuttle arrives, your Uber driver will be waiting.
3. The easiest but most expensive way to get picked up at LAX is by ordering a car service. I use Blacklane because I work with them and get paid in credits. But they’re always on time, have clean, comfortable cars and professional drivers.
I know most people can’t afford the luxury of a car service and that these days, most prefer rideshares over taxis (myself included). That’s because rideshares are usually cheaper, cleaner, more comfortable, friendlier drivers (since they get rated), easier to pay (no cash), more convenient (you just tap a couple of buttons to summon one) and you don’t need to know the local language. But for the time being, it might be worth acting like it’s 2012 and not 2021.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.