Japan is full of amazing and unique experiences, from the Gassho houses of Gifu Prefecture to the yatai of Fukuoka City (featured in Ian Livingston’s recent piece on Fukuoka Prefecture). And at one Tokyo airport hotel, you can now stay in a hotel room equipped with a flight simulator.
Since July, writes Lonely Planet, Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu (an aviation-themed hotel beside Tokyo Haneda International Airport) has offered the “Superior Cockpit room, double-occupancy accommodations that come complete with twin beds and, the pièce de résistance, a Boeing 737-800 flight simulator.” A night in the room starts at ¥25,300, or roughly $234, while use of the simulator is a separate cost.
“The guided, 90-minute experience covers take off from Tokyo’s Haneda Airport and landing at Osaka International,” says LP, “and it’s bookable on its own for ¥30,000 (US$277), or in conjunction with an overnight stay for ¥25,300 (US$234) per night. Banish thoughts of marathon, all-night flying sessions, though. You won’t be able to sit in the cockpit or operate the controls without supervision – namely instructors, including a former captain, with working knowledge of the equipment.”
While all-night flying sessions are off the table, the simulator room has nonetheless been extremely popular. Aviation enthusiasts, especially, are booking it up. “The hotel reports that the response has been overwhelmingly enthusiastic, with domestic and international bookings and inquiries rolling in—and since the room can only be reserved on specific days, it’s filling up quickly.” If you need a Tokyo airport (near Haneda, not Narita), you could much worse than the Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu.
- One Day in Tokyo, Japan
- 10 Things to Do in Japan’s Fukuoka Prefecture
- 11 Things to Do in Japan’s Ishikawa Prefecture
- 10 Things to Do in Japan’s Chubu Region
- 10 Things to Do in Tokushima, Japan
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,555!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.