This summer, London and Paris top the list of European destinations Americans are planning to visit. An Allianz Global Assistance survey ranked these two cities first and second respectively.
In addition, the insurance company examined more than 10 million trips planned by customers during the past three summers. This summer, London will see a 37% increase in U.S. travelers over last summer. Paris will receive a 29% increase in U.S. travelers compared to 2016. Stockholm, ranking 19 on the list, will see an 8% increase in U.S. travelers compared to what it saw in 2016. The Swedish capital will likely beat its summer numbers from both 2015 and 2016, despite the attack earlier this year.
These sharp increases will bring London and Paris back to the travel numbers they carried in summer 2015, before the Paris attacks (the most recent London attack occurred after the survey was carried out). These numbers bring great hope that tourism is rebounding in this area.
Here are the top 20 European destinations for 2017 summer travel as ranked in the survey:
- London, United Kingdom
- Paris, France
- Rome, Italy
- Athens, Greece
- Barcelona, Spain
- Dublin, Ireland
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Madrid, Spain
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Venice, Italy
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Munich, Germany
- Milan, Italy
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Reykjavik, Iceland
- Shannon, Ireland
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Prague, Czech Republic
“Americans won’t be deterred in their desire to visit iconic European destinations like London and Paris,” said Daniel Durazo, director of communications at Allianz Global Assistance, which provides insurance to over 25 million customers annually.
“Many travelers are interested in purchasing travel insurance so that they may have the option to cancel or interrupt their trip should there be a terrorist event at their destination within 30 days of their arrival,” said Durazo.
Wherever you decide to go this summer, make sure to stay safe and enjoy the destination, the people you’re with and the time away!
Disclaimer: Johnny Jet works as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receives financial compensation.
For more information about Allianz Global, visit AllianzTravelInsurance.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.