People are often surprised when I tell them that one of my favorite U.S. airports is Los Angeles International (LAX). It’s my fave for a number of reasons, including that it features the nicest terminal in the country (TBIT) and that it’s close to my house.
However, the traffic has recently been really getting to me (and most others). Just getting into the airport, there’s almost always a traffic jam, especially at Departures. Much of the congestion is supposedly due to the rule that says Uber/Lyft can only pick up and drop off at Departures. One way around it is to get dropped off at Arrivals and take an escalator or elevator up to Departures, but again Uber/Lyft drivers won’t do it because they’d be risking a $1,000 fine—so to do it you’ll have to take a private car, limo service or taxi.
In any case, LAX Map Alerts is a great resource for seeing what the current traffic conditions are at Los Angeles International. The site has different overlays that you can apply to a map of greater LAX: Closures, Waze, Parking, Traffic, and Labels. At the top, there’s also a place to request directions and see the actual time it will take to get to the airport. Keep in mind that the default arrival location is Departures, so you can (usually) chop 15 minutes off the time by getting dropped off at Arrivals. Just don’t ask your Uber/Lyft driver to.
- Travel Video of the Week: LAX Airport Insider Tips
- Inside the Private Suite at LAX, the U.S.’s Most Exclusive Airport Lounge
- Manhattan Beach: The perfect LAX layover
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.