As a magazine, AFAR is already well-loved and highly respected, especially in travel circles. The San Francisco-based team and its contributors put out some of the best travel writing and content out there, packaged beautifully in issues released seven times each year. The website—afar.com—takes the same in-depth approach to travel and makes it interactive. There are articles and city guides, but visitors also have the opportunity to add and review highlights from their own cities.
The free app—AFAR Travel Guide—takes the best aspects of both of these platforms and stuffs them into your pocket. With the latest update, the AFAR app gives you access to “45,000+ unique travel experiences around the world,” all searchable by location or viewed on an interactive map. With your destination in mind, you can read and view the best content and recommendations for the city/destination you’re in or want to visit from AFAR’s and local experts. You can sort by distance, by rating, by “Recommended,” and within a number of categories (like “Eat” and “Stay”). You can also add your own city/destination highlights to the map, which serves to help you track memorable places and improve the app experience for other users.
Another cool function allows you to build out a trip plan by joining together items already that already exist in the app. So, say you want to travel to Berlin. By simply selecting the restaurants, landmarks, hotels, etc. that you’d like to include on your future Berlin trip, you’ve immediately created a permanent guide for yourself that you can access whenever you begin planning, arrive in Berlin or anytime in between. You can even access your plans offline!
With beautiful images, genuine insight and an incredibly intuitive interface, the AFAR Travel Guide is actually fun to use, which is not the case with all guides in its category. It’s available for free on iOS and Android, so give it a shot and let me know what you think!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.