Last week I wrote about Jott, which allows users to text without Wi-Fi or a cellular connection. It works using Bluetooth, which means you have to be within 30 feet of the person you’re communicating with. Jott is perfect if you’re at a conference and there’s no signal, or as discussed, if you’re on a plane and sitting away from your travel companion. My wife and I tried it briefly last week while flying over the Atlantic.
This week’s app, FireChat, also lets users communicate on their smartphones without internet or cellular connection. However, it uses “mesh networking.” According to Skift, FireChat uses your phone’s Wi-Fi or Bluetooth antennas “to pass a message to another phone running FireChat that’s located up to 200 feet away. That phone relays the encrypted message on, until it’s delivered. The process can take 10 to 20 minutes to travel across a dense metro area, assuming about 5 percent of the city’s population has downloaded the FireChat app—a big assumption.”
But as noted by Skift, if enough people download the app, the potential is there to help international travelers avoid roaming fees.
FYI: When my wife and I tested it briefly on a plane above France, it worked instantaneously whether we were next to each other or I was all the way in the bathroom.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.