A note on the updated app: The new version of the Mobile Passport app limits certain features to holders of a premium subscription that costs $14.99/year. Notably, you must enter your personal data from scratch each trip, whereas with the old version your data was saved. If you have the old version (3.0.2 or earlier) already downloaded, don’t update it to avoid having your experience curtailed.
One of the best things to come to international travel in a while is Global Entry, which has kept me out of many long customs lines returning home. It’s well worth the $100 cost (good for five years).
Well now, U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 Visa status can get basically a free version of Global Entry for travel through 21 U.S. airports and a cruise port—and it’s called Mobile Passport.
The free app for iOS and Android was created by the US government and lets you skip the usual customs line at US airports. With Mobil Passport, you just fill out your profile and answer the CBP’s questions—then go straight through the “Mobile Passport Control” express lane at the airport!
Here’s how it works (direct from the horse’s mouth):
- Step 1: Set Up Your Profile
Enter your profile information as it appears on your valid, official passport.You can set up profiles for your entire family. Your information will be encrypted and shared only with CBP.
- Step 2: Answer a Few Questions
Answer CBP’s four brief questions about your trip. Then carefully review ALL of your information for the trip.
- Step 3: Submit to CBP
Once you land, connect to wireless or wi-fi and submit your data to CBP. Remember: when you submit, you are confirming under penalty of law that your information is correct. Within a few seconds, you will receive a CBP receipt with an encrypted barcode. Your receipt will be valid for 4 hours.
- Step 4: Skip the Line & Save Time!
Follow the MOBILE PASSPORT CONTROL signs and skip the lines! Show your passport to the CBP officer and scan the barcode on the CBP receipt. And that’s it!
Mobile Passport is currently available at:
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- William P. Hobby Houston International Airport (HOU)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Miami Seaport
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Palm Beach Seaport
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
- Port Everglades Seaport
- Portland International Airport (PDX)
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- San Juan Airport (SJU)
- San Juan Seaport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.