If you’re not already aware, I co-host a weekly travel Twitter chat called the #TravelSkills chat. Every Friday at 12 pm ET (9 am PT), Chris McGinnis and I field questions on a variety of topics, with input from some of the travel industry’s foremost experts and people from all over the world.
Last week, InsureMyTrip.com sponsored one on dealing with stormy travel, and one of the questions we asked participants was “What apps or websites do you use most often to predict or avoid bad weather when traveling?” Flight attendant Heather Poole wrote “If you’re a fearful flier, download the app MyRadar. It shows when, where, & how long to expect turbulence in flight.”
I’d never heard of MyRadar, but Heather’s recommendation is good enough for me. It also doesn’t hurt that the app is free (available in both iOS and Android) and it’s described as “a fast, easy-to-use, no-frills application that displays animated weather radar around your current location, allowing you to quickly see what weather is coming your way. Just start the app, and your location pops up with animated weather! The map has the standard pinch/zoom capability which allows you to smoothly zoom and pan around the United States and see what the weather is like anywhere. MyRadar shows animated weather, so you can tell if rain is headed toward or away from you, and how fast.”
Good to know: MyRadar currently only shows weather in the United States, and only in the 48 contiguous states—not Alaska or Hawaii (or Puerto Rico).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.