Last week the Telegraph published a story called “The 20 best travel books of all time.” I’d heard of most of the classic books but one I hadn’t was “As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning” by Laurie Lee.
The description on Amazon reads: “For Laurie Lee, as for much of the world, 1936 was the end of innocence. Lee recalls the first great journey of his young life, in which he walks through Spain and becomes entangled in the passionate, bloody struggle that was the Spanish Civil War. This memoir (a sequel to the beloved Cider with Rosie), written with the excitement and wonder of a twenty-year-old, is also infused with the prescience of a young adult who sees what lies ahead. Following the enthusiastic reception of Godine’s reissue of Cider with Rosie, we are pleased to announce the second book in Laurie Lee’s autobiographical trilogy, As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning.”
The Sunday Times (UK) touts: “He writes like an angel, and conveys the pride and vitality of the humblest Spanish life with unfailing sharpness, zest and humor.”
The Midwest Book Review says: “’As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning’ offers a new edition of Laurie Lee’s classic account of involvement in the Spanish Civil War, offering an unexpected blend of humor, coming of age, and social observation. It’s a sequel to his ‘Cider with Rosie’ but stands well alone as a fine memoir observing Europe on the brink of World War II, and is a top recommendation for both its social observation and its lyrical, literary prose.”
Grab it: Grab “As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning” by Laurie Lee on Amazon for $12.07.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.