Last week the Telegraph published a story called “The 20 best travel books of all time.” I’d heard of most of the classic books but one I hadn’t was “As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning” by Laurie Lee.
The description on Amazon reads: “For Laurie Lee, as for much of the world, 1936 was the end of innocence. Lee recalls the first great journey of his young life, in which he walks through Spain and becomes entangled in the passionate, bloody struggle that was the Spanish Civil War. This memoir (a sequel to the beloved Cider with Rosie), written with the excitement and wonder of a twenty-year-old, is also infused with the prescience of a young adult who sees what lies ahead. Following the enthusiastic reception of Godine’s reissue of Cider with Rosie, we are pleased to announce the second book in Laurie Lee’s autobiographical trilogy, As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning.”
The Sunday Times (UK) touts: “He writes like an angel, and conveys the pride and vitality of the humblest Spanish life with unfailing sharpness, zest and humor.”
The Midwest Book Review says: “’As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning’ offers a new edition of Laurie Lee’s classic account of involvement in the Spanish Civil War, offering an unexpected blend of humor, coming of age, and social observation. It’s a sequel to his ‘Cider with Rosie’ but stands well alone as a fine memoir observing Europe on the brink of World War II, and is a top recommendation for both its social observation and its lyrical, literary prose.”
Grab it: Grab “As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning” by Laurie Lee on Amazon for $12.07.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.