When I asked my friends on Facebook for travel book recommendations, there were a couple votes for veteran journalist and traveler Robert Bone’s “Fire Bone!” Amazon’s description of “Fire Bone!” reads like this:
Robert W. Bone has visited every continent and covered at least 75 countries. For four decades, thousands of travelers to Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand carried the latest editions of his prize-winning Maverick Guides or read his groundbreaking work on the ‘last frontier,’ Fielding’s Alaska and the Yukon. He wrote travel articles for magazines, and using his personal syndication system, hundreds more for the travel sections of newspapers throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Thompson joined him on some of his early adventures in the U.S. and abroad, admiring Bone’s ability to live the kind of life that office drones dream of. Put the formula down on paper, Thompson wrote him: ‘Shit, you’d sell 50,000 copies in NY alone.’
Fire Bone! is an unvarnished memoir of thrilling experiences with newspapers, magazines and book publishers, and the childhood and youthful love affairs that led up to them. Bone has been shot at and robbed. He’s battled American and foreign bureaucrats. But as his grandmother predicted, everything he did ‘would always come out for the best.’ He’s climbed to the top of a mast at sea and planted a revolutionary flag at a world’s fair. And he’s never been fired from a job. Fire Bone! explains all that, too.”
Grab it: Grab “Fire Bone!” by Robert Bone on Amazon for $16.95.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.