I just realized we’ve never featured my buddy Allan Karl’s (here’s his Travel Style) travel memoir, which was definitely an oversight. It’s called “Forks: A Quest for Culture, Cuisine, and Connection. Three Years. Five Continents. One Motorcycle.”
After he became unemployed and got divorced, Allan sold nearly everything he owned and traveled for three years alone on a motorcycle. Here’s Amazon’s description of his book: “Allan looked at these forks in the road of his life as an opportunity to both follow a life-long dream and pursue his passions. He hopped on his motorcycle and traveled around the world–alone. After three years and 62,000 miles of riding, through 35 countries on 5 continents, he returned home only to set out on another journey—to share the truths he’d uncovered and the lessons learned during his adventure around the world.
“Between these pages, Allan shares the discoveries, cultures, and connections he made on this global adventure. Through stories, color photos, and the flavors of real local food, FORKS brings his adventure to life and the world to your table: the kindness of strangers, the beauty of humanity, the colors of culture, and the powerful gift of human connection.
“‘Even though I set out on his journey alone, I was never alone. If I was ever lost, lonely or hungry, I would turn around and always find someone there.’ The real truth is that it’s easy to connect with people—humanity—even in the most challenging situations. Like when he was ordered into the Colombian jungle at gunpoint, or when he crushed his leg in the middle of nowhere in Bolivia, or how he had to beg the governments of Syria and Sudan to let him across their borders.
“Every photograph, story, and recipe in this book presents readers with an opportunity to witness new cultures, taste exotic flavors, or journey into dangerous and unknown territories. Every experience is an opportunity to connect with others. FORKS brings the world to your table: An around-the-world adventure story. A colorful photo book with more than 700 color photographs. A global cookbook with 40 signature recipes.”
Grab it: Grab Travel Book of the Week: “Forks: A Quest for Culture, Cuisine, and Connection” by Allan Karl on Amazon for
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.