My friend and fellow travel writer Ruth Carlson (see her Travel Style here) just wrote a book on her hometown that comes out next week. “Secret San Francisco: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure” is available now for pre-order on Amazon for $14.85. Here’s the description, from Amazon:
“Did you know that there is a redwood forest in the middle of San Francisco? Have you ever heard a brass marching band leading funerals through Chinatown, or taken an underground sewer tour of the city? Where can you wander through a labyrinth where the land meets the sea? It’s all revealed in Secret San Francisco: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure. Not your traditional guidebook, it will lead you to unlock the secrets and little-known stories behind the city’s most enduring icons. You’ll find directions to the real crookedest street, windmills, and an airport for flying boats. Along the way you’ll encounter some bizarre and often hilarious history. For example, did you know that both Burning Man and Santa Con started here? Or that San Francisco was the site of the last American duel? Learn the story of how the city nearly broke Tony Bennett’s heart, and almost allowed public nudity. International travel writer Ruth Wertzberger Carlson left no detail overlooked as she researched and wrote about her hometown. Her book will take you places locals would rather keep for themselves—that is, if they even know about them!”
Grab it: Grab “Secret San Francisco: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure” by Ruth Carlson on Amazon for $14.85.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.