This is a sponsored post.
As I’m sure everyone would agree, COVID took the world by surprise, and we’ve all learned so much. But in my opinion, there are four key takeaways that travelers in particular have learned throughout the pandemic:
1. COVID knows no land borders and doesn’t discriminate.
2. The rules and restrictions for countries, cities, airlines, hotels and various other companies can change at a moment’s notice.
3. If you booked travel through a third-party website, it was close to impossible to get your money back or reach a customer service agent.
4. Most travel insurance companies didn’t cover COVID because it was classified as a viral epidemic and epidemic’s always been an exclusion.
Fortunately, for the last 18 months, travel insurance companies have been working furiously to expand their coverage. Allianz Global Assistance, for whom I have worked as a brand ambassador with for years, has long been a world leader in travel protection. To rectify this matter, Allianz refiled their products to make COVID a permanent accommodation. They first rolled out this protection for their single trip options and have now included it in one of their annual products.
The details are below but if you buy an annual plan, like I get every year, you are covered for 365 days on any trip 100 miles from home. On top of that, if you or a travel companion contracts COVID, you can cancel your trip, or if you’re on your trip, your medical expenses are covered or if you’re asked to quarantine, you have trip interruption benefits.
What You Need to Know
To see if your plan covers COVID, look for “Epidemic Coverage Endorsement” on your Declarations of Coverage or Letter of Confirmation. For plans that now include the new Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, your plan may now include epidemic-related covered reasons under some or all of the following benefits:
-Trip Cancellation, if for example you must cancel your trip after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
-Trip Interruption, if for example during your trip you are specifically named and individually ordered to quarantine (not including generally or broadly applicable quarantines).
-Travel Delay, if for example you are denied boarding based on a suspicion that you are ill with an epidemic disease such as COVID-19.
-Emergency Medical Care, if for example you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and need to be hospitalized while traveling.
-Emergency Transportation, if for example you’re diagnosed with an epidemic disease such as COVID-19 while you’re traveling and you require an emergency medical evacuation.
Here are a few more important things to know: If you cancel or cut short a trip because you’re afraid of becoming ill with COVID-19, or because a travel advisory has been issued for your destination, that will not be covered by Allianz’s travel insurance plans.
Benefits may not cover the full cost of your loss. All benefits are subject to maximum limits of liability, which may in some cases be subject to sublimits and daily maximums. Be sure to review your plan carefully to understand what limits apply to your plan.
If your destination requires proof of travel insurance with COVID-19-related benefits, call Allianz at 1-866-884-3556 so they can provide a summary letter of plan benefits.
It’s important to note that customers are responsible for being aware of the requirements for travel to, from, and within their destination(s), including any minimum insurance coverage requirements.
One of the best things about Allianz is that they have offices around the world and their assistance team is available to help customers. If you have questions about your destination’s travel requirements or if you need medical help, you can contact them by phone or via the free TravelSmart app.
If you’re looking for some real-world scenarios for how benefits may apply under Allianz plans containing the Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, then check out this blog post on their website. Here, they provide examples of Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Travel Delay, Emergency Medical Care and Emergency Transportation.
Here’s a sample scenario: “You’ve booked an adorable cottage for your family vacation to Sanibel Island, Florida. Three days before you’re supposed to leave, your spouse begins to feel unwell. You anxiously await his test results, then learn he has COVID-19. Your first concern is for his health; your second concern is all the money you’re going to lose on this vacation. It’s too late to get a refund. Can your travel insurance with the Epidemic Coverage Endorsement help?”
No matter which insurance company or plan you choose, it’s imperative to read the fine print to know what is and isn’t covered. Believe me, I know it’s boring and no fun but it can save you a lot of money and aggravation. I can tell you from experience that the best thing about buying travel insurance is the peace of mind that comes with knowing you won’t have to shell out huge amounts of money if things don’t go according to plan.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.