Here’s to another crazy week in the travel industry and the USA. I can’t believe it’s already been seven days since I checked out of the Lido House in Newport Beach. BTW: My four-year-old son won’t stop talking about it and keeps telling family on FaceTime that he wants to move there.
JUST IN: “TSA officers screened 936,915 individuals at airport checkpoints on Thursday, Oct. 8. It was the fourth time sine the pandemic hit that checkpoint volume has topped 900,000 and the first Thursday that it has done so.” I’m surprised by this number and with Hawaii opening up next week, I think it will break the million mark soon. That’s good news for the travel industry but keep in mind a year ago on that same weekday the number was 2,605,291.
6-Day Sailing Trip in Maine on the Schooner Stephen Taber
I wasn’t the only one in my family to travel last week. My sister Georgette went on one of the few cruises operating out of the USA right now. Here’s what it was like sailing in Maine during COVID-19 on 68-foot schooner.
How Travelers Can Get Free COVID-19 Testing
If you get my Daily Travel Tip newsletter (you can sign up here) then you know that almost every airline, airport, cruise line and destination is scrambling to partner with health agencies to provide rapid COVID-19 testing. Well, starting next week (just in time for when Hawaii opens up), this airport will do it for free, which could save a family of four $1,000!
A Slice of Hawaii With This Amazing Tool for Slicing Pineapple
If you’re not comfortable traveling yet or can’t make it to Hawaii for health or financial reasons (It will be interesting to see how the first month goes once they reopen), here’s a way to enjoy a slice of Hawaii. You just need this amazing and cheap ($7.99) tool for slicing pineapple. A friend turned me on to it and it’s so good that I had to tell you about it, even though it’s not directly related to travel. Find out more about it here and watch the short video I made demonstrating how to use it.
7 Dirtiest Things on an Airplane According to a Flight Attendant
If you are flying this fall or anytime (BTW: here are 10 Ways to Find Cheap Thanksgiving Flights), then you will definitely want to read this post on the 7 dirtiest things on an airplane according to a flight attendant. Most of them are common sense but it never hurts to be reminded so that we can all stay healthier when we travel. And one of her tips is something I’d never thought of … but then again, I’m not a woman.
How to Have a Fun Virtual Thanksgiving
In my family, we celebrate two Thanksgivings, since I married a Canadian. We used to travel for both holidays but not this year, which means we’ll be celebrating at home this weekend; Canada’s Thanksgiving Day is this Monday. According to the airlines, not a lot of people are flying this holiday due to the CDC’s recommendation last week that Americans celebrate Thanksgiving virtually. This is why the airlines are cutting flights and fares, and grocery stores are predicting demand for much smaller birds since there won’t be large family gatherings. Here are some tips to help you and your family have a fun virtual Thanksgiving.
Great Travel Deals From the Amazon Prime Pre-Sale
Next week is Amazon Prime Day (October 13 & 14). Amazon almost always has great savings on everything from toasters and suitcases to tech and travel gadgets. Assuming the deals will be great, we will most likely send out a special deals newsletter so you can jump on them before they’re gone. The good news is that Amazon has released some pre-sale items and there are already some good travel deals. Here’s our selection. BTW: If you buy anything from Amazon next week, please use my affiliate link since they pay a small (and I mean small) referral fee.
How to Design Your Own Luggage and Get $50 Off
No doubt Amazon will be selling a lot of suitcases next week but one brand you can’t buy there is ROAM. What makes these suitcases unique is that customers can design their very own piece of luggage that’s totally unique and personal. There are plenty of color options to choose from and the result is a beautiful suitcase all your own. My wife recently designed one; check out how her suitcase turned out PLUS get $50 off your own ROAM suitcase.
The Health Tool You Need at Home and On the Road
Last week, we shared a tip about adding a finger pulse oximeter to your travel health kit. An oximeter can be used to monitor changes in your respiratory condition and can potentially provide early warning signs about COVID. Since that tip was so well-received, this week, we’re sharing a tip about another tool I’ve added to my toiletry bag.
Antigua and Barbuda Has a New Two-Year Residency Program
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about all the places that are welcoming foreigners, including Americans, for remote work and school opportunities. This week, the dual-island nation of Antigua and Barbuda launched a new “Nomad Digital Residence Programme” for those whose employers are based outside the islands. Here are the details.
Limited Time Offer!
Earn a 140,000 point bonus, annual reward night, up to 25x points on purchases, Global Entry, & more with this hotel credit card.
Keep scrolling: There’s a ton more travel news to cover including an American Airlines pilot was docked pay after insisting his co-pilot wear a mask; the cruise industry has committed to test all passengers for COVID-19 worldwide and Broadway is extending the shutdown through May 2021. See below for more!
Airline and Airport News:
- American Airlines Pilot Docked Pay After Insisting Co-Pilot Wear A Mask
- Norwegian warns of ‘prolonged crisis’ amid latest dire figures
- Video Captures Passenger Brawl on Plane Over Mask Dispute
- Southwest launching Miami service Nov. 15
- See all the airline and airport news that’s got people talking this week…
- Cruise ships with 250+ people will test all passengers, crew for COVID-19
- When cruising comes back, will the buffet return with it? Here’s what they say
- Here Are The First Cruises Set to Sail In November
- Cruise ships torn apart after coronavirus sell off
- See all the cruise news that’s got people talking this week…
- Broadway Shutdown Extends Through May 2021
- Hawaii expecting up to 8,000 daily arrivals when tourism restarts this month
- The CDC says the coronavirus can spread through tiny airborne particles after all
- Miami Dolphins Get ‘Full Capacity’ Approval from Gov. for 65,000 Seat Stadium
- Man charged in death of 80-year-old man who allegedly confronted him for not wearing face mask at western N.Y. bar
- See all the domestic travel news that’s got people talking this week…
International Travel News:
- Visitors to the Bahamas Won’t Have to Quarantine Upon Arrival Starting Nov. 1
- New Zealand’s passport is now the most powerful in the world
- Venice holds back the water for first time in 1,200 years
- Plans announced to build airport in Tulum
- See all the international travel news that’s got people talking this week…
Hotel and Lodging Travel News:
- Airbnb to Ban or Cancel One-Night Stays on Halloween Weekend to Deter House Parties
- Hotel Giant IHG Data Shows Younger Travelers Now Prefer Much Shorter Booking Windows
- Hotels Partnering With Co-Working Companies Signal a Pandemic Trend Could Be Here to Stay
- Airbnb is become unbearably unaffordable with all the fees on top, cleaning fees way way out of hands anytime I have checked.
- See all the hotel and lodging news that’s got people talking this week…
Miscellaneous Travel News:
- Best TV shows and movies set in Paris to stream
- The Welcome Sign from Every State in America
- 10 tech predictions that could mean huge changes ahead
- Surfer Magazine joins print media closure wave
- See all the rest of the travel news that’s got people talking this week…
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.