Want to control your home lights and get motion detection notices from across the globe? Check out the Belkin WeMo Switch + Motion’s device ($79.99). I set this device up after the company’s PR department sent me a goody bag of Belkin products to try (others will be featured throughout the summer), and there are two parts to it:
The first is a sensor that plugs into an outlet and detects motion up to 10 feet away. If that’s not enough, you can connect an additional sensor that comes with it and has a 6-foot cord to give it greater reach. The sensor then wirelessly signals the second product, the WeMo Switch, which should be plugged into a separate outlet and have a device like a lamp, fan, heater, and stereo plugged into it.
Then, you download the free app, Android (4.0 and later) or Apple (iOS 5 or higher) and just like that you can use your phone or tablet to program and/or control the WeMo Switch remotely. That means you can have a light turn on or off when you walk into the house. Or use it to set schedules for home appliances like coffee makers.
What I like the most is that the device will send you notifications via email or text whenever motion is detected. Additional WeMo Switches are available for $49 for more control, and multiple switches can be linked to one sensor as well.
I just plugged mine in and so far I really like it. Have you used it? Do you agree that it’s a great device for travelers?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.