When packing for a safari in Africa, one of the most important tips is to be practical. Pack as little as possible and include items that are versatile and can be worn multiple times in different ways. One of the best I found and used basically every day while on safari was a simple headband by Buff Headwear that scrunched up to nothing in my bag.
It could be worn stylishly as a traditional headband, extended to cover your whole head if desired to both protect from the sun and the bugs. It could be used as a scrunchie type of hairband to get hair off your neck. It can be used to cool yourself off by soaking it in water and wearing it as a bandana around your neck. You can even go pirate style by tying a knot at the back. Literally, it comes with a guide that shows you at least eight different ways to wear it.
The UV Headband and The Seamless Headband were my favorites. The Seamless one is half the length of a standard UV Buff and doubles as a helmet liner, skullcap or headband without the bunching of excess fabric.
It’s also made with Coolmax Extreme fabric, blocks 95 percent of UV rays, quickly wicks away sweat, keeps you cool when it’s hot by allowing the heat to escape and provides an extra layer of warmth to slide over your ears on cold days, not to mention the practical bonus of being able to pull it over your nose and mouth during dusty safari treks through the African bush!
Simple. Practical. Stylish. My three words to describe what makes a perfect travel product.
While I will be bringing mine on my next outdoor adventure, my friend Lanee left hers in the Masai Mara of Kenya. Why? While visiting a Masai village in Kichwa Tembo, one of the elders was so fascinated with the seamless headband, Lanee decided to give it to her. She was beyond excited and as African creativity goes, she didn’t even need instructions to rock the Buff, as we said. It looked gorgeous on her, as pictured below. She had a glow and pride about having something special that no one else did. Our only regret was not having Buff to give the whole tribe!!
Here’s a video about how to wear a Buff:
For more info on Buff Headwear and their other products, visit www.buffusa.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.