Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Abby Tegnelia
Occupation: Magazine editor and travel blogger
Hometown: I am nomadic because of my family! We moved often, but I graduated high school in Albuquerque, NM.
Residence: Las Vegas, NV
Website: The Jungle Princess
Facebook: Abby Tegnelia
Pinterest: Abby Tegnelia
Short Bio: I have wanted to be a journalist since I was 5-years-old and got my first passport when I was 12. Travel blogging lets me combine those two loves! Since graduating from Columbia J-school, I have worked at New York magazine, Us Weekly and In Touch, and written for a ton of magazines including Glamour, Marie Claire, Women’s Wear Daily and more. I have been an editor-in-chief of three regional magazines, including the luxury title Vegas, where I am now. I got the job after traveling for two years as a result of losing my job during the recession, in 2008. I ended up living in Costa Rica for a year of that, where I started my blog, The Jungle Princess. The title came about because I was a city girl living happily in a one-room house in a small pueblo. It became a testament to the idea that anything is possible, even if at first you are a fish out of water.
How often do you fly: When it comes to travel, I am not a creature of habit. I road-trip, jump on planes, catch a bus, who cares. Heck, I even got a private jet all to myself recently. On average, I actually get on a plane… 12 times a year? Ish?
How many countries have you been to: 31
How many continents have you been to: 4
Favorite American city: I move around every few years because I can’t decide!
Favorite international city: At last count, I’d been to Barcelona 11 times. But I still hate to name a favorite! Whenever I can, I fly down to Coco, the small town I lived in in Costa Rica.
Favorite airline: Delta has been so good to me over the years.
Aisle or window: Aisle
Favorite airport lounge: I usually forgo airline lounges for restaurant bars and restaurants, such as One Flew South in Atlanta’s international terminal. I always meet people there.
Favorite U.S. airport: Atlanta
Favorite international airport: I’ll never forget being offered a candy while my passport was checked in Singapore. Also, I have stayed there overnight before and had plenty to do. American airports sometimes shut down at 9 pm!
Favorite hotel: Weirdly, my favorite hotel right now is the Cosmopolitan, which is in my town. But I have stayed there so many times now and absolutely love it.
Favorite cruise line: Disney! (The only one I’ve ever been on.)
Favorite fancy restaurant: Yellowtail, at Bellagio, in Vegas.
Favorite hole in the wall: Too many to list.
Favorite fruit: I am such a cliché: I eat an apple a day.
Favorite food: Any kind paired with wine! I love trying new things and eat almost everything.
Least favorite food: Carrots
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground) Champagne
Favorite travel movie(s): I thought about this long and hard, and the only movie I can come up with is Monsoon Wedding. It’s not even a travel movie per se, but the romance and exoticness ignites the spark that I crave and what keeps me traveling. I vaguely remembering thinking that L’Auberge Espagnole was life-changing, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen that film.
Favorite travel show(s): I have a hard time watching travel shows, because I get jealous and antsy.
Favorite travel book(s): I can’t think of any travel books right now, although I do read to escape. But I often lose myself in geeky fantasy series.
Five things you bring on a plane: Enormous sweater, eye drops, a watch, Kindle, and a pen for the entry papers.
What do you always seem to forget: Nothing! I never unpack my carry-on or my travel toiletries bag.
What’s your dream destination: My list is too long!
Best travel tip: Break the rules! When drinking wine, I always say, “drink what you like,” even if it isn’t the “perfect” pairing. When it comes to travel, go where it makes you happy, not where you feel you “should” go. Life is short.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.